The disadvantages of RNA-based NGS are those common to all NGS techniques as well as those specific to the RNA-based NGS.
The disadvantages of RNA-based NGS are summarised in the following table.
Table 24: Disadvantages of RNA-based NGS for Testing for NTRK Gene Fusions
- Beadling C, Wald AI, Warrick A et al. A Multiplexed Amplicon Approach for Detecting Gene Fusions by Next-Generation Sequencing. J Mol Diagn 2016; 18: 165-175.
- Zehir A, Benayed R, Shah RH et al. Mutational landscape of metastatic cancer revealed from prospective clinical sequencing of 10,000 patients. Nat Med 2017; 23: 703-713.
- Chen Y, Chi P. Basket trial of TRK inhibitors demonstrates efficacy in TRK fusion-positive cancers. J Hematol Oncol 2018; 11: 78.
- Choi Y, Won YJ, Lee S et al. Cytoplasmic TrkA Expression as a Screen for Detecting NTRK1 Fusions in Colorectal Cancer. Transl Oncol 2018; 11: 764-770.
- Murphy DA, Ely HA, Shoemaker R et al. Detecting Gene Rearrangements in Patient Populations Through a 2-Step Diagnostic Test Comprised of Rapid IHC Enrichment Followed by Sensitive Next-Generation Sequencing. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 2017; 25: 513-523.
- Rizzo JM, Buck MJ. Key principles and clinical applications of "next-generation" DNA sequencing. Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 2012; 5: 887-900.