Oops, you're using an old version of your browser so some of the features on this page may not be displaying properly.

MINIMAL Requirements: Google Chrome 24+Mozilla Firefox 20+Internet Explorer 11Opera 15–18Apple Safari 7SeaMonkey 2.15-2.23

Poster Display session 3

4035 - Prediction of benign and malignant breast masses using digital mammograms texture features

Date

30 Sep 2019

Session

Poster Display session 3

Topics

Translational Research

Tumour Site

Breast Cancer

Presenters

Cui Yanhua

Citation

Annals of Oncology (2019) 30 (suppl_5): v574-v584. 10.1093/annonc/mdz257

Authors

C. Yanhua1, Y. Li2, J. zhu3, J. dong4

Author affiliations

  • 1 School Of Information Science And Engineering, university of jinan, 250002 - Jinan/CN
  • 2 Department Of Radiology, Shandong Tumor hospital affiliated to Shandong University, 250117 - jinan/CN
  • 3 3. department Of Radiation Oncology Physics And Technology, Shandong Cancer Hospital affiliated to Shandong University, 250117 - jinan/CN
  • 4 School Of Information Science And Engineering, university of jinan, 250002 - jinan/CN

Resources

Login to access the resources on OncologyPRO.

If you do not have an ESMO account, please create one for free.

Abstract 4035

Background

Breast cancer is one of the most common malignant disease for women. Mammography is the preferred method for breast cancer detection. The purpose is to investigate the feasibility and accuracy of texture features extracted from digital mammograms at predicting benign and malignant breast mass using Radiomics.

Methods

494 digital mammograms data who diagnosed as breast masses (Benign: 251 Malignant: 243) by mammography were enrolled. Enrol criteria: breast masses classified as BI-RADS 3, 4, and 5 and at last confirmed by histopathology. Lesion area was marked with a rectangular frame on the Cranio-Caudal (CC) and MedioLateral Oblique (MLO) images at the 5M workstation. The rectangular regions of interest (ROI) was segmented and 456 radiomics features were extracted from every ROI. Extracted features were dimensioned by Maximum Relevance Minimum Redundancy (MRMR) and Lasso algorithm. Post-dimension features were classified using Support Vector Machine (SVM). 70% of the data as a training set and the other 30% as a testing set. The reliability of the Classifier was evaluated by the 10-fold cross-validation. The classification accuracy was evaluated by the accuracy and sensitivity and AUC.

Results

Both the MRMR and Lasso screened 30 radiomics features respectively. 10-fold cross-validation showed that their accuracy were 88.70% and 86.71%, respectively. In testing sets, Through the MRMR algorithm, the classifier achieves an accuracy of 92.00% and a sensitivity of 91.10% and AUC of 95.10%. Through the lasso dimension reduction algorithm, the classifier achieves an accuracy of 83.26% and a sensitivity of 75.90% and AUC of 89.38%.

Conclusions

Radiomics texture features from digital mammograms may be used for benign and malignant prediction. This method offer better accuracy and sensitivity. It is expected to provide an auxiliary diagnosis for the imaging doctors.

Clinical trial identification

Editorial acknowledgement

Legal entity responsible for the study

The authors.

Funding

Has not received any funding.

Disclosure

All authors have declared no conflicts of interest.

This site uses cookies. Some of these cookies are essential, while others help us improve your experience by providing insights into how the site is being used.

For more detailed information on the cookies we use, please check our Privacy Policy.

Customise settings
  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and you can only disable them by changing your browser preferences.