The advantages of RNA-based NGS are those common to all NGS techniques as well as those specific to RNA-based NGS, as shown in the following table.
Table 23: Advantages of RNA-based NGS for Testing for NTRK Gene Fusions
- Zehir A, Benayed R, Shah RH et al. Mutational landscape of metastatic cancer revealed from prospective clinical sequencing of 10,000 patients. Nat Med 2017; 23: 703-713.
- Beadling C, Wald AI, Warrick A et al. A Multiplexed Amplicon Approach for Detecting Gene Fusions by Next-Generation Sequencing. J Mol Diagn 2016; 18: 165-175.
- Kheder ES, Hong DS. Emerging Targeted Therapy for Tumors with NTRK Fusion Proteins. Clin Cancer Res 2018; 24: 5807-5814.
- Choi Y, Won YJ, Lee S et al. Cytoplasmic TrkA Expression as a Screen for Detecting NTRK1 Fusions in Colorectal Cancer. Transl Oncol 2018; 11: 764-770.
- Chen Y, Chi P. Basket trial of TRK inhibitors demonstrates efficacy in TRK fusion-positive cancers. J Hematol Oncol 2018; 11: 78.
- Church AJ, Calicchio ML, Nardi V et al. Recurrent EML4-NTRK3 fusions in infantile fibrosarcoma and congenital mesoblastic nephroma suggest a revised testing strategy. Mod Pathol 2018; 31: 463-473.