The disadvantages of DNA-based NGS are those common to all NGS techniques as well as those specific to the DNA-based NGS. The disadvantages of DNA-based NGS are summarised in the following table.
Table 22: Disadvantages of DNA-based NGS for Testing for NTRK Gene Fusions
- Beadling C, Wald AI, Warrick A et al. A Multiplexed Amplicon Approach for Detecting Gene Fusions by Next-Generation Sequencing. J Mol Diagn 2016; 18: 165-175.
- Zehir A, Benayed R, Shah RH et al. Mutational landscape of metastatic cancer revealed from prospective clinical sequencing of 10,000 patients. Nat Med 2017; 23: 703-713.
- Chen Y, Chi P. Basket trial of TRK inhibitors demonstrates efficacy in TRK fusion-positive cancers. J Hematol Oncol 2018; 11: 78.
- Archer. Why is it better to use RNA instead of DNA for fusion detection?
- Kheder ES, Hong DS. Emerging Targeted Therapy for Tumors with NTRK Fusion Proteins. Clin Cancer Res 2018; 24: 5807-5814.
- Cocco E, Scaltriti M, Drilon A. NTRK fusion-positive cancers and TRK inhibitor therapy. Nat Rev Clin Oncol 2018; 15: 731-747.
- Rizzo JM, Buck MJ. Key principles and clinical applications of "next-generation" DNA sequencing. Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 2012; 5: 887-900.