Oops, you're using an old version of your browser so some of the features on this page may not be displaying properly.

MINIMAL Requirements: Google Chrome 24+Mozilla Firefox 20+Internet Explorer 11Opera 15–18Apple Safari 7SeaMonkey 2.15-2.23

Poster Display session 2

5867 - Incidence of tumour BRCA1/2 variants in relapsed, platinum-sensitive ovarian, fallopian tube and primary peritoneal cancer

Date

29 Sep 2019

Session

Poster Display session 2

Topics

Tumour Site

Ovarian Cancer

Presenters

Robert Morgan

Citation

Annals of Oncology (2019) 30 (suppl_5): v403-v434. 10.1093/annonc/mdz250

Authors

R.D. Morgan1, M. Bulman2, A.R. Clamp1, S. MacMohon3, L. Thompson3, S. Ribeiro3, A. Davies4, R. Best4, S. Palmer-Smith4, B. Frugtniet4, D..G.R. Evans2, G.C. Jayson1, A.J. Wallace2

Author affiliations

  • 1 Medical Oncology Department, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, M20 4BX - Manchester/GB
  • 2 St Mary's Hospital, Manchester, Manchester Centre for Genomic Medicine, M13 - JH/GB
  • 3 Clinical Genetics, The Royal Marsden NHS Trust, SW3 - JJ/GB
  • 4 , University Hospital Of Wales, Heath Park, Cardiff, All Wales Genetics Laboratory, Institute of Medical Genetics, CF14 - AY/GB

Resources

Login to get immediate access to this content.

If you do not have an ESMO account, please create one for free.

Abstract 5867

Background

Randomised phase 3 trials have demonstrated that poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase (PARP) inhibitors significantly improve progression-free survival in BRCA-mutant high-grade serous and endometrioid ovarian carcinoma. Consequently, the demand for germline and tumour BRCA1/2testing has increased significantly throughout the UK. We report results from a tumour BRCA1/2testing service available to cancer centres across England, Wales and Northern Ireland from July 2017 to February 2019.

Methods

DNA extracted from formalin fixed, paraffin-embedded tumour samples underwent next generation sequencing for BRCA1/2 variants. Eligibility criteria included relapsed, platinum-sensitive ovarian, fallopian tube or primary peritoneal cancer with germline BRCA1/2wild-type or unknown germline. Patients also had to have received ≥2 prior lines of platinum-based chemotherapy. A confirmatory histopathology report was requested as part of the tumour BRCA1/2testing service.

Results

Two hundred and ninety-three histologically-confirmed high-grade serous and/or endometrioid ovarian cancer tumour samples underwent tumour BRCA1/2testing. The prevalence of pathogenic (class 5) or likely pathogenic (class 4) variants was 17.7% (52/293). The germline BRCA1/2was wild-type for 185/293 (63.1%) of patients, with the remaining 36.9% (108/293) with germline BRCA1/2unknown. There were at least 36 (12.3%) pathogenic/likely pathogenic somatic BRCA1/2variants detected. The allele fraction for somatic BRCA1/2pathogenic variants ranged from 0.06 to 0.98, with 50% (18/36) reported with an allele fraction of ≥ 0.5 (50%), in keeping with putative biallelic loss-of-function.

Conclusions

Prospective evaluation of paired germline and tumour BRCA1/2testing in all women who are diagnosed with platinum-sensitive high-grade serous and/or endometrioid ovarian cancer in the UK is now required to validate these findings.

Clinical trial identification

Editorial acknowledgement

Legal entity responsible for the study

AstraZeneca.

Funding

AstraZeneca.

Disclosure

All authors have declared no conflicts of interest.

This site uses cookies. Some of these cookies are essential, while others help us improve your experience by providing insights into how the site is being used.

For more detailed information on the cookies we use, please check our Privacy Policy.

Customise settings
  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and you can only disable them by changing your browser preferences.