Oops, you're using an old version of your browser so some of the features on this page may not be displaying properly.

MINIMAL Requirements: Google Chrome 24+Mozilla Firefox 20+Internet Explorer 11Opera 15–18Apple Safari 7SeaMonkey 2.15-2.23

Poster display session

615 - Relevance between PD-L1 and radiological invasiveness in pathological stage I lung adenocarcinoma


09 Sep 2017


Poster display session


Cancers in Adolescents and Young Adults (AYA);  Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer


Gouji Toyokawa


Annals of Oncology (2017) 28 (suppl_5): v453-v456. 10.1093/annonc/mdx381


G. Toyokawa, K. Takada, T. Okamoto, Y. Kozuma, T. Matsubara, S. Takamori, T. Akamine, M. Katsura, F. Shoji, Y. Maehara

Author affiliations

  • Department Of Surgery And Science, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, 812-8582 - Fukuoka/JP


Abstract 615


Programmed death-ligand 1 (PD-L1) was reported to predict the response of immunotherapy; however, the association between PD-L1 expression and radiological/pathological features has yet to be elucidated.


A total of 292 patients with resected pathological stage I adenocarcinoma were analyzed for PD-L1 expression by immunohistochemistry and evaluated to determine the association between PD-L1 expression and the radiological/pathological invasiveness. Specifically, the radiological invasiveness and noninvasiveness were determined based on the consolidation/tumor (C/T) ratio, with a cut-off value of 0.25 by thin-section computed tomography.


Among 292 patients, 47 (16.1%) were positive for PD-L1 expression; the remaining 245 patients (83.9%) were negative for PD-L1 expression. Fisher’s exact test demonstrated that PD-L1 expression was significantly associated with a higher C/T ratio (P=0.029) and higher maximum standardized uptake value (SUVmax; P=0.004). The mean values of C/T ratio and SUVmax in patients with and without PD-L1 expression were 0.845±0.052 and 7.241±0.795, and 0.607±0.023 and 3.60±0.364, respectively (P


PD-L1 expression was significantly associated with radiological/pathological invasive adenocarcinomas. This study provides the first evidence of the radiological/pathological invasiveness in resected pathological stage I adenocarcinoma with PD-L1 expression.

Clinical trial identification

Legal entity responsible for the study

Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan.




All authors have declared no conflicts of interest.

This site uses cookies. Some of these cookies are essential, while others help us improve your experience by providing insights into how the site is being used.

For more detailed information on the cookies we use, please check our Privacy Policy.

Customise settings
  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and you can only disable them by changing your browser preferences.