Oops, you're using an old version of your browser so some of the features on this page may not be displaying properly.

MINIMAL Requirements: Google Chrome 24+Mozilla Firefox 20+Internet Explorer 11Opera 15–18Apple Safari 7SeaMonkey 2.15-2.23

Poster display session

1327 - Clinical features of never smoker patients with lung squamous cell carcinoma: a retrospective multicenter study


09 Sep 2017


Poster display session


Cancers in Adolescents and Young Adults (AYA);  Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer


Stefano Frega


Annals of Oncology (2017) 28 (suppl_5): v460-v496. 10.1093/annonc/mdx380


S. Frega1, M. Macerelli2, A. Del Conte3, L. Bonanno1, M. Bartoletti2, V. Polo4, G. Zago1, A. Follador2, I. Attili1, A. Pavan1, L. Urso5, S.M.M. Basso6, G. Fasola2, P.F. Conte1, G. Pasello1

Author affiliations

  • 1 Medical And Experimental Oncology Department, Medical Oncology 2, Istituto Oncologico Veneto IRCCS, 35128 - Padova/IT
  • 2 Medical Area Department, AOU Santa Maria della Misericordia, 33100 - Udine/IT
  • 3 Medical Oncology Department, Centro di Riferimento Oncologico Aviano, Aviano/IT
  • 4 Surgical, Oncological And Gastroenterological Sciences Department, University of Padova, 35128 - Padova/IT
  • 5 Surgical, Oncological And Gastroenterological Sciences Department, University of Padova, Padova/IT
  • 6 General Surgery And Perioperative Medicine Department, Azienda Ospedaliera Sta Maria degli Angeli, 33170 - Pordenone/IT


Abstract 1327


Squamous cell carcinoma of the lung (LSCC) is the second most common histological subtype of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) having smoking habit as the major risk factor. LSCC in non-smokers is an exceptional finding possibly related to professional exposure and subsequent carcinogenesis even though clinical and biological landscape is largely unexplored.


This is a retrospective multicenter study investigating clinical features of never-smoker LSCC patients (pts) referred to three Italian Centers between 2010 and 2016. Relapse (RFS) or progression free (PFS) and overall (OS) survival curves were calculated by Kaplan-Meier method. Cox regression proportional hazards model was used to estimate the impact of covariates on OS.


Among 791 LSCC pts, 37(4,6%) occurred in never-smokers; our case series included 19 males and 18 females with a median age of 63 years. ECOG PS was 0-1 in 30(81%) pts. Median Charlson Comorbidity Index (CCI) was 6. Two (5%) pts referred second-hand smoking history and 13(35%) occupational exposure. Additional tumor history was reported by 15(41%) patients: head and neck (N=4), basocellular skin (N=5), breast (N=2), lung (N=2), prostate (N=1) cancer and leukemia (N=1). Molecular characterization was performed in 12(32%)pts: EGFR and KRAS mutations were found in 2 and 1 pts respectively. Median time from symptoms appearance and diagnosis was 7 weeks. Twelve (32%) pts showed a limited stage, while the other 25(68%) showed advanced/metastatic disease at the diagnosis. Nineteen (52%) pts received a first-line palliative chemotherapy (pct), mostly platinum-based doublets plus gemcitabine (N=11) or taxane (N=3), achieving a response rate and disease control rate of 37% and 58% respectively. Median RFS in resected patients (N=9) was 21 months. Median PFS and OS after first-line pct were 5 months and 8.5 months respectively. No covariate significantly impacted on OS.


Never-smoker LSCC pts represent a rare subgroup characterized by more females, younger age and a not negligible CCI and second-tumor history compared with the known features of smoker LSCC. Treatment outcome of advanced disease is still dismal as for most LSCC pts.

Clinical trial identification

not applicable

Legal entity responsible for the study

Istituto Oncologico Veneto IRCCS




All authors have declared no conflicts of interest.

This site uses cookies. Some of these cookies are essential, while others help us improve your experience by providing insights into how the site is being used.

For more detailed information on the cookies we use, please check our Privacy Policy.

Customise settings
  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and you can only disable them by changing your browser preferences.