Oops, you're using an old version of your browser so some of the features on this page may not be displaying properly.

MINIMAL Requirements: Google Chrome 24+Mozilla Firefox 20+Internet Explorer 11Opera 15–18Apple Safari 7SeaMonkey 2.15-2.23

Poster display session

4246 - Role of prephase treatment prior to definitive chemotherapy in diffuse large B -cell lymphoma (DLBCL)

Date

09 Sep 2017

Session

Poster display session

Presenters

Antapura Rudresha

Citation

Annals of Oncology (2017) 28 (suppl_5): v355-v371. 10.1093/annonc/mdx373

Authors

A. Rudresha1, V. Asati1, L.C. Kuntegowdanahalli1, G. Babu1, D. Lokanatha1, L.A. Jacob1, S. Babu1, C.S. Premalatha2, L. Rajeev1, K..N. Lokesh1, S.C. Saldanha1, R. Patidar1

Author affiliations

  • 1 Medical Oncology, Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology, 560029 - Bangalore/IN
  • 2 Pathology, Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology, 560029 - Bangalore/IN
More

Resources

Abstract 4246

Background

Treatment related toxicity during the treatment of Diffuse large B cell lymphoma (DLBCL) is highest during the initial phase of treatment (First cycle effect). The toxicity can be febrile neutropenia, tumour lysis syndrome, deterioration in performance status and death. Introduction of prephase treatment is popular method to reduce this toxicity. This study was undertaken to evaluate the benefit of prephase treatment in Indian patients.

Methods

This was a prospective study carried out at Kidwai memorial institute of oncology Bangalore, India from July 2015 to December 2016. The newly diagnosed patients of DLBCL, age>18years, stage II-IV were enrolled in study. Written consent taken from all patients before starting chemotherapy (CHOP/R-CHOP). Out of 50 patients, 25 patients received prephase treatment consisting of vincristine (1 mg) on -6th days and prednisone 100 mg daily for 7 day (-6 day to day 0). All patients received CHOP/R-CHOP chemotherapy on day 1. ECOG performance status, nadir absolute neutrophil count (ANC) on day 10, febrile neutropenia, and hospitalization, requirement of antibiotics and mortality within 30 days of chemotherapy were compared in both the groups. Patients above 60 years received prophylactic growth factor.

Results

The median age of the patients were as 50.5 years (Range 20-74 years). Thirty patients were male and twenty patients were female. Twenty patients (40%) had stage 2 disease while the other 60% patients had stage 3 or stage 4 disease. Most of the patients (96%) attanined ECOG performance status of 0 or 1 after prephase treatment. The incidence of any grade neutropenia on D10 of chemotherapy in experimental arm was 44% (88% in control arm) while the grade 3/4 neutropenia was 12% (48% in control arm). Febrile neutropenia in the experimental arm was lower (12%) as compared to control arm (32%) (p value

Conclusions

Prephase treatment significantly improves the performance status of DLBCL patients prior to receiving chemotherapy (CHOP±Rituximab). First cycle effect, including decrease chances of febrile neutropenia and improvement in nadir ANC are impressive benefits of prephase treatment.

Clinical trial identification

Legal entity responsible for the study

Kidawai memorial institute of oncology Bengaluru India

Funding

None

Disclosure

All authors have declared no conflicts of interest.

This site uses cookies. Some of these cookies are essential, while others help us improve your experience by providing insights into how the site is being used.

For more detailed information on the cookies we use, please check our Privacy Policy.

Customise settings
  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and you can only disable them by changing your browser preferences.