Oops, you're using an old version of your browser so some of the features on this page may not be displaying properly.

MINIMAL Requirements: Google Chrome 24+Mozilla Firefox 20+Internet Explorer 11Opera 15–18Apple Safari 7SeaMonkey 2.15-2.23

Poster display

1115 - Is the overall survival after hormone therapy for hormone-receptor-positive, HER2-negative metastatic breast cancer still better than for triple-negative metastatic breast cancer?

Date

10 Oct 2016

Session

Poster display

Presenters

Junichiro Watanabe

Citation

Annals of Oncology (2016) 27 (6): 68-99. 10.1093/annonc/mdw365

Authors

J. Watanabe1, T. Hayashi2, Y. Tadokoro2, S. Nishimura2, K. Takahashi2

Author affiliations

  • 1 Breast Oncology, Shizuoka Cancer Center, 411-8777 - Shizuoka/JP
  • 2 Breast Surgery, Shizuoka Cancer Center, 411-8777 - Shizuoka/JP
More

Resources

Abstract 1115

Background

Hormone-receptor-positive (HR+) HER2-negative (HER2-) metastatic breast cancer (MBC), i.e. luminal-type MBC, is known to have a better prognosis than triple-negative MBC (TNMBC). However, if HR + HER2-MBC patients (pts) are diagnosed to be resistant to hormone therapy (HTx), they must undergo chemotherapy (CTx), just like TNMBC pts. To our knowledge, however, the overall survival (OS) after HTx (the OS derived from CTx) has not been well discussed.

Methods

We herein reviewed our medical records from 2002 to the present to assess the OS beyond HTx and identify the prognostic factors in HR + HER2-MBC pts. Statistical analyses were performed using the Kaplan-Meyer method and a multivariate COX regression analysis.

Results

We identified 344 HR + HER2-MBC pts from our medical records, and 286 (207 recurrent [rBC], 79 advanced [aBC]) underwent CTx. Among those 286 pts, 239 (83.6%) received at least 1 or more HTx sessions prior to CTx, while the other 47 (16.4%) received CTx as their initial systemic therapy. We also extracted 95 (69 rBC, 26 aBC) TNMBC pts from the records as a control group. The median OS for the 286 pts from the diagnosis of MBC was 1395.0 days (95% confidence interval [CI] 500.0-3942.0), which was superior to that of TNMBC pts (777.0 days, 95%CI 238.0-1784.0, p 

Conclusions

Our single-institution retrospective analysis with some limitations found that the OS after HTx in recurrent HR + HER2-BC pts was almost identical to that of recurrent TNBC pts.

Clinical trial identification

This is not a prospective trial, so, it has no trial number.

Legal entity responsible for the study

Junichiro Watanabe

Funding

None

Disclosure

All authors have declared no conflicts of interest.

This site uses cookies. Some of these cookies are essential, while others help us improve your experience by providing insights into how the site is being used.

For more detailed information on the cookies we use, please check our Privacy Policy.

Customise settings