1076P - Rituximab plus subcutaneous cladribine in patients with extranodal marginal zone B-cell lymphoma of the mucosa associated tissue (MALT-lymphoma): a...

Date 30 September 2012
Event ESMO Congress 2012
Session Poster presentation II
Topics Anticancer agents
Biological Therapy
Presenter Marlene Troch
Authors M. Troch1, B. Kiesewetter2, W. Willenbacher3, E. Willenbacher3, A. Zebisch4, W. Linkesch4, M.A. Fridrik5, L. Müllauer6, R. Greil1, M. Raderer7
  • 1Hematology, Medical Onoclogy, Hemostaseology, Infectious Disease, Rheumatology, Oncologic Center, Paracelsus Medical University of Salzburg, 5020 - Salzburg/AT
  • 2Clinical Oncology And Comprehensive Cancer Center, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna/AT
  • 3Hematology And Oncology, Medical University of Innsbruck, Innsbruck/AT
  • 4Hemato/oncology, Medizinische Universit, AT-8036 - Graz/AT
  • 5Internal Medicine 3, Allgemeines Krankenhaus Linz, AT-4020 - Linz/AT
  • 6Institute Of Pathology, Medical University of Vienna, 1090 - Vienna/AT
  • 7Medical University of Vienna, Vienna/AT



Currently, there is no standard systemic treatment for extranodal marginal zone B-cell lymphoma of the mucosa associated lymphoid tissue (MALT-lymphoma). Both rituximab (R) and 2-chlorodeoxyadenosine (2CdA) have shown activity to some extent in this disease, but the combination has not been tested so far. In view of this, we have initiated a phase II study to assess the activity and safety of R/2CdA in patients with MALT-lymphoma.

Patients and methods

Patients with histologically verified MALT-lymphoma were included in this study. Treatment consisted of R 375 mg/m2 i.v. day 1 and 2CdA 0.1 mg/kg s.c. days 1 – 4 every 21 days. In case of complete remission (CR) after two courses, another two cycles of therapy were administered, while patients achieving partial response (PR) or stable disease (SD) were scheduled to receive 6 cycles of treatment.


Out of 40 evaluable patients (14 female, 26 male), 39 received treatment as scheduled while one patient died before initiation of therapy and was rated as PD in the intent to treat analysis. Twenty-one patients had gastric lymphoma, while 19 suffered from extragastric MALT-lymphoma (6 lung, 2 salivary gland, 5 ocular adnexae, 4 intestinal, one breast and one cutaneous lymphoma, respectively). Side effects were manageable and consisted mainly of hematotoxicity including leukopenia, lymphopenia, anemia and thrombocytopenia. Twenty-three patients had a CR (58 %), 9 PR (23%) for an overall reponse rate of 81%, while 5 had SD (13%) and two progressed during therapy. After a median follow-up of 16.7 months (Inter Quartile Range; 15.9 – 18.7months), 35 patients are alive (88 %) while four patients have died (one patient of post-stenotic pneumonia during the follow-up period, one of urosepsis before initiation of therapy, one due to myocardial infarction and one patient due to lymphoma progression) and one patient withdrew consent and did not allow further follow up.


Our data demonstrate that R plus 2CdA is active and safe in patients with MALT-lymphoma.


All authors have declared no conflicts of interest.