827P - Clinical outcomes and dosing patterns of 2nd targeted therapy in metastatic renal carcinoma: a retrospective chart review in the EU

Date 09 October 2016
Event ESMO 2016 Congress
Session Poster display
Topics Anticancer agents
Renal Cell Cancer
Therapy
Biological Therapy
Presenter Daniel Heng
Citation Annals of Oncology (2016) 27 (6): 266-295. 10.1093/annonc/mdw373
Authors D. Heng1, J. Park2, J.E. Signorovitch3, H. Yang3, J. Song4, J. Weiss5, L. Dezzani2, T.B. Powles6
  • 1Medical Oncology, Tom Baker Cancer Centre, T2N 4N2 - Calgary/CA
  • 2Novartis Oncology, Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation, 07932 - East Hanover/US
  • 3Health Economics And Outcomes Research, Analysis Group, 02199 - Boston/US
  • 4Health Economics And Outcomes Research, Analysis Group, 90071 - Los Angeles/US
  • 5Life Sciences, Navigant, EC2V 5HA - London/GB
  • 6Medical Oncology, Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine, NW3 2QG - London/GB

Abstract

Background

This study evaluates the real-world outcomes and dosing patterns of metastatic renal cell carcinoma (mRCC) patients treated with everolimus (EVE), axitinib (AXI), and sorafenib (SOR), and as 2nd targeted therapy in Europe. We expanded the study to include patients from an additional country and updated the results presented at ASCO GU 2016 (#558).

Methods

Oncologists and urologists in the UK, Germany, France, and the Netherlands reviewed charts of adult mRCC patients who experienced disease progression on 1st targeted therapy with sunitinib or pazopanib and initiated 2nd targeted therapy with EVE, AXI, or SOR between 10/2012 and 6/2013. Overall survival (OS) and progression-free survival (PFS) and from the initiation of 2nd targeted therapies were evaluated using Kaplan-Meier analyses, and compared across cohorts using multivariable Cox proportional hazards models. Proportions of patients with dose adjustments and dose intensities relative to the recommended doses were also compared.

Results

A total of 309 charts were reviewed, with 115, 96, and 98 mRCC patients receiving EVE, AXI, and SOR as 2nd targeted therapy, respectively. Mean age was 60.2 years and 66.7% were male. The majority of patients received sunitinib as 1st targeted therapy (79.3%) and the rest received pazopanib (20.7%). No statistically significant differences were observed in OS or PFS after adjusting for patient characteristics [AXI vs. EVE: hazard ratio (HR) (95% CI): 1.22 (0.77-1.94) and 1.26 (0.81-1.95); SOR vs. EVE: HR (95% CI): 1.25 (0.75-2.10) and 1.47 (0.95-2.28)]. A significantly greater proportion of AXI-treated patients had a dose increase (AXI: 13.2% vs. EVE: 0.9%, p 

Conclusions

In this retrospective study, no statistically significant differences in OS or PFS were observed among patients treated with EVE, AXI, and SOR. Rates of dose escalation and relative dose intensities were significantly higher among AXI-treated patients compared to EVE- or SOR-treated patients.

Clinical trial identification

Legal entity responsible for the study

Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation

Funding

Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation

Disclosure

J. Park, L. Dezzani: is an employee of Novartis Pharmaceuticals. J.E. Signorovitch, H. Yang, J. Song: is an employee of Analysis Group, which received research funding from Novartis Pharmaceuticals for this project. J. Weiss: is an employee of Navigant, which received research funding from Novartis Pharmaceuticals for this project. All other authors have declared no conflicts of interest.