921P - Evaluation of some indexes of urinary system function in patients with infiltrative cervical cancer and effect of nerve-sparing radical hysterectom...

Date 27 September 2014
Event ESMO 2014
Session Poster Display session
Topics Supportive Care
Cervical Cancer
Surgery and/or Radiotherapy of Cancer
Presenter Tetyana Dermenzhy
Citation Annals of Oncology (2014) 25 (suppl_4): iv305-iv326. 10.1093/annonc/mdu338
Authors T. Dermenzhy, V. Svintitskiy, E. Stakhovskiy, O. Yatsyna
  • Oncologycal Gynecology, National Cancer Institute of the MPH Ukraine, 03022 - Kiev/UA

Abstract

Aim

Evaluation of some indexes of urinary system function in patients with infiltrative cervical cancer (ICC) after surgical treatment.

Methods

Evaluation of some indexes of urinary system function in patients with infiltrative cervical cancer and effect of nerve-sparing radical hysterectomy (RHE-С1) has been performed in the Department of Oncogynecology of National Cancer Institute in 2012-2014. The study enrolled 50 patients with ICC (average age of 32.7 ± 4.9 years) treated with RHE with the following cyst manometry: 25 patients (group I) underwent RHE with sparing of pelvic vegetal nervous plexus (PVNP), and 25 patients underwent RHE by standard method without PVNP sparing (group II, control).

Results

In patients of groups I and II we have evaluated the main symptoms of maifunction of the genitourinary system (MSMGUS), namely urinary difficulty (UD); involuntary urination of different pronouncedness (IUDP). Patients of group I were distributed in 2 subgroups: subgroup А – patients with ICC of stage IB with bilateral PVNP preservation (18 patients, 72%), and subgroup В – patients with ICC of stage IIA with unilateral PVNP preservation (7 patients, 28%). UD was registered in 1 (4%) patient from subgroup А and in 2 (8%) patients from subgroup В, in total in 12% of cases. MSMGUS was registered in 1 (4%) patient from subgroup В (4%). MSMGUS was documented in 16% of cases. Removal of catheter in patients with ICC with PVNP sparing was performed on days 3-7, with 6-12 bed-days. The patients of group II were distributed in 2 subgroups by disease staging: I B (9 patients, 36%) and II А (16 patients, 64%). UD was registered in 6 (24%) patients with ICC of stage IB and in 9 (36%) patients with ICC of stage IIА (60%). IUDP was registered in 1 (4%) patient with ICC of stage IB and in 4 (16%) patients with ICC of stage IIА (20% cases in total). MSMGUS was registered in 80% of cases. Removal of catheter in patients with ICC was performed on days 8-21, with 15-25 bed-days.

Conclusions

So, in patients of group I the rate of urinary function complications was 16% versus 80% in control group which indicates a significant influence of nerve-sparing RHE-С1 toward these functions. Removal of catheter in patients of group I was performed on days 3-7, while in group II on days 8-21, which significantly affects patients' quality of life.

Disclosure

All authors have declared no conflicts of interest.