10P - Allele frequency of ABO and Rh blood group and the risk of non small cell lung carcinoma

Date 17 April 2015
Event ELCC 2015
Session Poster lunch
Topics Lung and other Thoracic Tumours
Presenter Akhil Kapoor
Citation Annals of Oncology (2015) 26 (suppl_1): 1-5. 10.1093/annonc/mdv043
Authors A. Kapoor1, N. Kumar2, A. Kalwar1, S. Narayan1, R.K. Nirban1, S.L. Jakhar1, S.K. Beniwal3, N. Sharma1, H.S. Kumar1, A. Sharma1
  • 1Radiation Oncology, Acharya Tulsi Regional Cancer Treatment & Research Institute, 334003 - Bikaner/IN
  • 2Mbbs - Student, Sardar Patel Medical College, 334003 - Bikaner/IN
  • 3Medical Oncology, Acharya Tulsi Regional Cancer Treatment & Research Institute, 334003 - Bikaner/IN

Abstract

Aim/Background

The ABO system is controlled by a single gene at the ABO locus at 9q34 region of the chromosome. Genetic alteration of this region is common in many cancers. Thus, the blood group antigen expression may be affected by the nature of genetic changes in the cell. Non Small Cell Lung Carcinoma (NSCLC) presents at an advanced stage at diagnosis; it is important to identify the high risk group for early diagnosis and improving the chances of cure. In this study, we aimed to investigate relationship between NSCLC and ABO-Rh blood groups and their allele frequency.

Methods

We analyzed 520 NSCLC patients with serologically confirmed ABO/Rh blood group. The distribution of blood groups of these patients were compared with that of 55568 healthy donors at the regional blood bank. The blood group frequencies were compared by Chi-square test and odds ratio (OR) with 95% confidence intervals (CIs) using SPSS software for windows version 20.0. The gene and allele frequencies of blood group were calculated by Hardy-Weinberg model.

Results

Blood group O was identified in 39% patients; B, A and AB in 34.5%, 19.5% and 7% patients, respectively. Rh status was negative in 9.37% patients. There were statistically significant difference in the status of Rh blood group among the patients and general population (P = 0.006). Control population had blood group O (31.9%), B (37.1%), A (22.1%), AB (8.9%) and Rh negative (5%). Odds Ratio (95% CI) was 1.97 (1.2–3.2) for absence of Rh antigen relative to its presence. The gene frequencies for blood group antigen A [p], B [q] and O [r] were 0.143, 0.234 and 0.623 (P = 0.715) for NSCLC patients and 0.169, 0.265 and 0.565 for general population, respectively. The gene frequencies for A [p], B [q] and O [r] with relation to absence of Rh factor were 0.183, 0.237 and 0.580 (P = 0.914) and with presence of Rh factor 0.139, 0.234 and 0.627 (P = 0.675) respectively. There were no statistically significant differences on the basis of gender.

Conclusions

The absence of Rh factor has two-fold increased risk for NSCLC. However, no relationship between the ABO blood group and NSCLC could be found. Further studies are warranted to define the mechanisms by which absence of Rh factor may influence the lung cancer risk.

Disclosure

All authors have declared no conflicts of interest.