106P - Efficacy and safety of bevacizumab in elderly patients with lung cancer adenocarcinoma

Date 28 March 2014
Event ELCC 2014
Session Lunch and poster display session
Topics Anti-Cancer Agents & Biologic Therapy
Geriatric Oncology
Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer, Metastatic
Presenter Konstantinos Syrigos
Citation Journal of Thoracic Oncology (2014) 9 (Supplement 9): S7-S52. 10.1097/JTO.0000000000000131
Authors K.N. Syrigos, D. Vassos, M. Panagiotarakou, G. Tsoukalas, G. Athanasiadis, E. Sepsas, I. Gkiozos
  • Oncology Unit Gpp, Sotiria General Hospital, Athens School of Medicine, 115 27 - Athens/GR

Abstract

Aim

Bevacizumab is a novel anti-angiogenic agent used in many advanced solid tumours, including non-squamous NSCLC. In contrast to clinical studies where enrolled patients are fit, many elderly NSCLC patients suffer from co-morbidities and often have history of a Cardiovascular Disease.

Methods

Medical records of 2672 patients diagnosed with NSCLC between 2001-2012 were screened. We identified and examined patients ≥75 years old treated with bevacizumab, for their demographics, clinical data and treatment details. We focused on those elderly patients with stable pre-existing cardiovascular disease.

Results

356/2672 NSCLC patients received Bevacizumab at any treatment line. 33/382 (8,6%) were ≥75 years old. Of those, 29 had various co-morbidities including 19 patients with stable cardiovascular disease on medical treatment. In the 19 patients with Cardiovascular disease the male: female ratio was 17:2 and mean age 77 years (range 75-86). 8/19 patients had impaired renal function. All patients were of Performance Status ECOG 0/1. Median number of Bevacizumab cycles was 5 (range 2-11). 17/19 patients experienced ≥1 side effects (11 epistaxis and haemoptysis, 5 proteinuria, 4 hypertension) which led to treatment discontinuation in 5 patients. No major/fatal adverse events were noted. 8/19 patients (42%) showed radiological partial response and 5 (19%) stable disease (total disease control rate 61%). Median survival from initiation of Bevacizumab till death/last follow up was 7 months (range 2-28, 95% CI 5.14-12.55).

Conclusions

Treatment with Bevacizumab seems to be safe and effective in elderly NSCLC patients with controlled pre-existing cardiovascular disease and good performance status. These patients might benefit from participation in clinical trials similarly to younger NSCLC patients.

Disclosure

All authors have declared no conflicts of interest.